Today being Krishna Jayanthi, a popular Hindu festival in India, I am sharing a very simple easy to make recipe using Poha ( also called as Aval or flattened rice). I drew inspiration from Raks kitchen for this recipe. I love to add a hint of coconut in desserts which is made using jaggery.
Hope you enjoy the recipe.
INGREDIENTS (serves ~3)
1. Milk- 2 1/4 cup
2. Poha or Aval or Flattened rice ( thick version)- 1/4 cup
3. Ghee- 2 tsp
4. Jaggery – 1/4 cup
5. Cardamom powder- a pinch
6. Cashews and sultanas- few
7. Optional: few saffron threads soaked in little coconut milk.
1. In a pan, take 1 tsp ghee and fry the cashews and sultanas a little and set it aside.
2. In the same pan, add 1 more tsp of ghee and add the Poha. Stir for a couple of minutes.
3. To this add boiling milk and cook on medium for 5 minutes.
4. Add cardamom powder, saffron soaked coconut milk, jaggery and the fried nuts and sultanas.
5. Stir well and immediately remove from heat to avoid curdling of milk due to the addition of jaggery.
6. Yummy poha or Aval Payasam is ready.
For the recipe making, please watch the video below as well. Also I am launching my new intro in this video. Hope you like it.