Kerala fish curry is one of the most delicious dishes from the state of Kerala in India. It is a tangy and spicy dish best had with steamed rice.
Traditionally fish curry is made in a clay pot and one of the key ingredients is the Kudam puli or Fish Tamarind. This recipe will use the regular tamarind instead of Fish tamarind. But please go for it if you have it handy.
This recipe also includes coconut milk which gives a nice texture and flavor to the curry.
Kerala Fish Curry
- Fish cut into thick slices( red snapper, mackerel etc) ~ 750gms
- Onions – 2 big (or Shallots ~12 will give better taste)
- Tomato- 1 small
- Tamarind pulp using 1 small lemon sized tamarind
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1.5 tsp
- Curry leaves- 3 springs
- Red Kashmiri chilli powder – 3 tbsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1-2 tsp
- Oil (preferred coconut oil) – 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk- 1/2 cup
- Crushed ginger- 2 tbsp
- Crushed garlic- 10 cloves
- Salt as required
Please watch video for the method: