Soya stir fry is a delicious and tasty mock meat recipe. A protein rich addition to your daily nutrition is a must and this is an amazing recipe to achieve that. I must also add that this recipe will definitely come close to the meat taste due to the size in which the soya is cut and the variety of spices added. A must try to all the vegetarians and vegans. Enjoy!
1. Soya Chunks- 1 cup
2. Onions- 2 small sliced
3. tomato- 1 medium
4. Curry leaves- few
5. Green chilli- 2
6. Coriander leaves to garnish
7. Oil: (preferred coconut oil) 2 tbsp
8. Ginger garlic paste: 2 tbsp
9. Cumin and fennel seeds- 1/2 tsp each
10. Desiccated coconut (Optional) – 2 tbsp
Spices for Soya:
1. Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
2. Coriander powder- 1/2 tsp
3. Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Spices for Masala:
1. Kashmiri chilli powder- 1-2 tsp
2. Coriander powder- 1 tsp
3. Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
1. Soak soya chunks in hot water for 20 mins
2. Squeeze the excess water out of the soya using your hands.
3. Slice each soya into smaller strips of desired thickness.
4. Coat the soya strips with chilli powder, coriander powder , turmeric powder and little salt.
5. Pressure cook this mixture for 1-2whistles adding 1/4 cup water. Set it aside.
Cooking the base masala:
1. In a pan, take coconut oil or desired oil. Add the sliced onions.
2. Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli and curry leaves.
3. Stir with little salt.
4. Add the cumin and fennel seeds.
5.Once onions turn translucent add the tomato.
6. Cover and cook for 5 mins for the tomato to cook through.
7.Open and stir it to a thick masala.
8. Add the cooked soya into the masala and mix it well.
9. Cover further for 5 mins and the masala will get nicely absorbed by the soya.
10. Open the lid, stir fry it to a dry consistency.
11. Optionally add desiccated coconut, few more curry leaves.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Yummy and delicious,spicy soya stir fry is ready. In Kerala this style of cooking is called Ularthiyathu and usually beef is cooked in this tasty way. This mock meat version of soya will come close to the beef stir fry. Enjoy this healthier and protien rich dish at your home today.
Please find the video recipe below: